The 2019 German BigBrotherAwards gala was held on 8 June 2019 at Bielefeld theatre. Watch the full German BigBrotherAwards gala now.
··········· Watch the award speeches 2019 ···········
(1) Authorities & Administration: Hessian Minister of the Interior, Peter Beuth
(2) Workplace: Interview – Surveillance and Privacy in the Workplace
(3) Biotechnology: Ancestry.com
(4) Communication: Precire Technologies
(5) Technology: “Technical Committee CYBER” of the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI)
(6) Consumer Protection: ZEIT Online
What are the BigBrotherAwards?
The BigBrotherAwards are “negative” or “anti” awards to companies, institutions and persons who act in a prominent and sustained way to invade people's privacy or malhandle (personal) data. By highlighting individual stories that were researched in detail, we bring the relevant issues onto the political agenda and become a clear voice in the German privacy movement. Starting in the United Kingdom in 1998, these awards have now been presented in 19 countries – the full list of award dates can be found on the international Big Brother Awards site.
The German BigBrotherAwards are organised by Digitalcourage in Bielefeld and were first presented in 2000. A gala is held every year, publicising a handful of winners in various categories.
The “Awardees“ section in the menu above leads to details on all past and present awards, from about 2003 onwards most of the content has been translated into English – in many cases we can offer full translations of award speeches which in some cases carry additional information for a non-German audience not familiar with certain details. The “Press” menu contains information on the venue and other material. The “About us” section has more background, and “Support” links to resources for participation and donation (these are in German).
BigBrotherAwards 2018: an exciting new venue – Bielefeld Theatre
The BigBrotherAwards 2018 took place on 20 April 2018 at our new venue, Bielefeld’s municipal theatre. A video of the event is available at https://vimeo.com/265814323. We provided live interpretation into English on site and as a livestream, and hope to publish a video with the English audio track later.
Our 2018 winners were:
- Workplace: Soma Analytics
- PR & Marketing: the idea of a “Smart City”
- Technology: Microsoft Germany
- Administration: Cevisio Software und Systeme GmbH
- Consumer Protection: Amazon Alexa
- Politics: parliamentary groups of the Christian Democrats (CDU) and the Greens in Hesse
To all those who made the BigBrotherAwards 2018 possible, thank you very much!
- The BigBrotherAwards gala 2019 took place on 8 June 2019 at Bielefeld Theatre. The winners can be found on our 2019 page.
- We look forward to your nominations (German page) for the BigBrotherAwards 2019.
The BigBrotherAwards highlight privacy and data protection offenders in business and politics, they have consequently been called “Oscars for data leeches” by the French paper Le Monde. BigBrotherAwards are an international project. 19 countries have so far given these awards for dubious practices.
The German awards are organised and held by ► Digitalcourage. Among the co-organisers are the German Association for Data Protection (Deutsche Vereinigung für Datenschutz, DVD), International League for Human Rights and the Chaos Computer Club.