We award the “Oscars for data leeches” (Le Monde) to the biggest data malpracticers of the previous year. Exciting, entertaining and easy to understand, our jury presents the results of thorough research.
The most recent gala took place on Friday, 29 April 2022, at 18:00 CEST (16:00 UTC) at the Hechelei in Bielefeld.
The (unlucky) winners 2022
- The Federal Criminal Police Office, because through its insufficient labelling of records it risks that police or other government agencies might treat millions of people as dangerous or criminal without justifiied reason.
- Bundesdruckerei (the “Federal Printer”), for misguided use and promotion of blockchain technology, which is not only vastly demanding of energy but can also have grave implications on privacy.
- The Irish Data Protection Commission for its continued sabotage of the enforcement of European data protection law at Big Tech corporations.
- The German food delivery service Lieferando for second-precision monitoring of its couriers.
- Klarna for intransparently amassing data and power as a shopping service, payment service, app provider, price comparison portal, personal finance manager, bank and cash collector.
The BigBrotherAwards are effective
They made customer loyalty cards, credit scoring, toll cameras, color copiers and phone surveillance (in)famous, exposing them as threats to our fundamental rights. They issued early warnings about the electronic health card, tax ID and telecommunications data retention. Long before the big scandals at Lidl, Telekom (T-mobile), DB, etc. these companies were “honored” with BigBrotherAwards. An evening of active democracy by means of theatre, polished speech, music and dance.
The BigBrotherAwards highlight privacy and data protection offenders in business and politics, they have consequently been called “Oscars for data leeches” by the French paper Le Monde.
The German awards are organised and held by ► Digitalcourage. Among the co-organisers are the German Association for Data Protection (Deutsche Vereinigung für Datenschutz, DVD), International League for Human Rights and the Chaos Computer Club.
- Jetzt nominieren!
12.Jan.2023 - 10:53
- Doctolib verstößt weiter gegen Patientengeheimnis
28.Jul.2022 - 17:47
- BigBrotherAwards 2022 in Karikaturen
11.May.2022 - 13:03
- BigBrotherAwards 2022 in den Medien
29.Apr.2022 - 20:00
- BigBrotherAwards am 29. April 2022
29.Apr.2022 - 19:40
- Live-Übertragungen vor Ort schauen
11.Apr.2022 - 16:16
The BigBrotherAwards are an international project: Questionable practices have been decorated with these awards in 19 countries so far.
Graphics for Social Media etc
Would you like to announce the BigBrotherAwards on social networks, report about the event or send a pretty invitation to friends? We have banners for you!